Eugene F. Kranz
Preferred Name: Eugene
Nickname/Call Sign: Mik
Date Of Birth: 08-17-1933
Highest Military Grade Held: Captain, O3
Hometown: Dickinson, TX
- BS/AE – Parks College of St. Louis University
- 6/54 – Commissioned 2/Lt USAF
- 3/55-4/56 –Spence, Williams Laughlin AFB- Pilot Training
- 5/56- – Nellis AFB- F86H – Fighter Weapons School
- 11/56-7/57 – Myrtle Beach AFB – 354 FDW, 355 FDS- F-100D.- While awaiting F-100 aircraft delivery maintained proficiency in F-86H at Seymour Johnson AFB, NC. While in F-100 transition received overseas orders to F-86 wing in Korea. Total F- 100D time was 25:50. May qualify for least F-100 time.
- 8/57-7/58 – K-55/OSAN Korea- 58th FBW, 69th FBS – F86F
- 9/58-9/60 – Holloman AFB – B-52 Flight Test Engineer Quail decoy missile systems
- 10/60- NASA Space Task Group- Langley Virginia-Cape Canaveral Fl. – Assistant Flight Director- Project Mercury
- 4/62- NASA Houston, TX- Flight Director -Project Gemini
- 12/65 –NASA Houston – Flight Director Project Apollo, Division Chief for Flight Control.
- 12/72 – Discharged AFRES
- 1/73-11/74 – NASA Johnson- Flight Operations Director- Skylab
- 12/74- 3/94 – NASA Director of Flight Operations for Apollo Soyuz Space Shuttle and Space Station Operations. Responsible for Astronaut training, Design and Ops for all mission and training facilities,controllers, mission planning, flight procedures and shuttle flight software.
- 4/94-8/98 – Lone Star Flight Museum – Flight Engineer – B-17G “Thunderbird”
- 4/94-Current time – Writer, motivational speaker, and engineering consultant
Flight Director for most U.S. Space missions…
Flight Director for the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing
Flight Director responsible for Return of Apollo 13 Crew
Co- Recipient of Presidential Medal of Freedom
Other awards: National Space Trophy, John Glenn Lecturer, National Space Club
Astronautics Engineer of Year, & others.
Book: “Failure is not an Option” New York Times Best Seller, used by History Channel for a documentary.
Military Speaker: SOS Maxwell AFB 2004-2008, Gathering of Eagles- 2004,2006,2008,2009, Navy PAX River, Navy Fleet Air Commanders Conference, USS Eisenhower, STRATCOM, & others.