26 June 1969 – Capt John Casper was serving with the 413th TFS out of Phan Rang AB, Vietnam. On a mission to detect VietCong...Read More
George A. Franzen
Brigadier General George A. Franzen was the commander of the 140th Tactical Fighter Wing, Colorado Air National Guard, Buckley Air National Guard Base, Colorado. He is responsible for the administration and supervision of the wing and the 1,600 members in its subordinate units, ensuring combat readiness in the mobilization missions, and as Air Commander is responsible for the operation and maintenance of Buckley Air National Guard Base.
The general was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant through the Ohio State University Air Force Reserve Officer Training program in June of 1961 and entered undergraduate pilot training at Vance Air Force Base, Okla. He began his flying career flying the F-100 at Cannon Air Force Base. New Mexico. He next reported to RAF Woodbridge, UK where he became an instructor pilot and flight examiner. From there he went to Vietnam as an F-100 pilot, instructor, and flight commander, completing 237 combat missions.
After a 16 month break in service, he joined the Iowa Air National Guard as an F-100 pilot in 1970. He was hired as a full-time technician by the Michigan Air National Guard, 127th Tactical Fighter Group in 1972 as the Chief of Standardization and Evaluation Officer during their conversion to the F-100. He joined the Colorado Air National Guard in 1974 as the full-time technician Chief of Standardization and Evaluation Officer.
He also served as the 120 Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations Officer and the 140th Tactical Fighter Wing Deputy Commander for Operations. He was assigned at the 140th Tactical Wing Commander in 1981 and promoted to Brigadier General in 1983. He served as a member of the Tactical Air Reserve Policy and Advisory Council 1984-1990 and as a member of the Air Directorate Field Advisory Council 1986-1988 and Chairman 1988 -1990.
In 1990 he was appointed to the Air Reserve Forces Policy Committee. He is a command pilot with over 5,000 hours flying the T-37, T-33, F-100C/D/F, A7D/K and the T-43.
1991-2001 United Airline pilot and instructor B727 and B737 300/500
- 7/1961-8/1962 undergraduate pilot training, 3576th Student Squadron. Vance AFB, OK
- 8/1962-5/1963 F-100 operational training course, 4510th Combat Crew Readiness Training Wing, Luke AFB
- 5/1963-6/1965 F-100 Pilot, 428th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Cannon Air Force Base, NM
- 6/1965-6/1968 F-100 Pilot, 79th Tactical Fighter Squadron, RAF Woodbridge, UK.
- 6/1968-4/1969 F-100 Pilot, 416th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Phu Cat Air Base, Republic of Vietnam
- 8/1970-6/1972 F-100 Pilot, 174th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Sioux City MAP, Sioux City Iowa
- 6/1972-2/1974 F100 Instructor Pilot and Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 127th Tactical Fighter Group, Selfridge Air National Guard Base, MI
- 2/1974-7/1978 F100/A7D Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 140th Tactical Fighter Wing. Buckley Air National Guard Base, CO
- 6/1978-4/1979, A7D 120th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations Officer, Buckley Air National Guard Base, CO
- 4/1979-12/1981, A7D 140th Tactical Fighter Wing, Deputy Commander for Operations. Buckley Air National Guard Base, CO
- 12/1981-8/1990, A7D/K 140th Tactical Fighter Wing, Buckley Air National Guard Base, CO
Awards & Decorations
Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with 9 Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Presidential Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Command Pilot, Flight hours: 5000+
237 combat missions
Military & Civilian Education
- Three schools by Correspondence
- BS/Education, Ohio State University