Mike’s words to describe his time as a pilot are “Great career. Would do it again if possible.” Mike flew a number of planes including the T-28, T-33, B-26, F-86F, F-100D, and F-86L in a career spanning decades and resulting in his attaining the role of Deputy Surgeon General, USAF for ANG Affairs in 1991 at Bolling AFB.
Dr. Michael Adams is a retired internist, retired Major General in the Air National Guard/USAF and the Chairman of the Board at the Ansel Adams Galleries in Monterey and Yosemite. Dr. Adams is the son of the iconic photographer Ansel Adams.
When he’s not flying or skiing, he volunteers as an attending physician in the Adult Clinic at the University Medical Center in Fresno, CA. Dr. Adams received his M.D. from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and served at Andrews AFB. He completed his Primary Course in Aerospace Medicine at Brooks AFB in TX and reported as Flight Surgeon with the 36th Fighter Wing at Bitburg Air Base in Germany.
He returned to his flight status as a Pilot/Physician combining flight medicine and his prior fighter pilot career by flying the F-4D as Aircraft Commander. Previously he had flown the F-86 Sabre and the F-100 Super Sabre.
After his tour of duty, Dr. Adams returned to his medical career in private practice and continued to serve in the California Air National Guard in Fresno as Flight Surgeon. He retired in 2000 and continues to be active in his family’s interests.
- Pilot Training: Lackland AFB, Bainbridge AB, GA (T-6G)
- Williams AFB, AZ (T-28, T-33)
- 1955 B-26 Transition, Vance AFB, OK
- Chitose AB, Japan, (F-86F, T-33)
- 388 FBS/312 FBW, Cannon AFB, NM (F-100D)
- CA Air Guard, Fresno, CA (F-86L, T-33)
- 1966-1967 AFIT Senior Medical Student
- 1967-1968 Medical Intern, Andrews AFB, MD
- 1968 Primary Course Aerospace Medicine, Brooks AFB, TX
- Pilot, Flight Surgeon, Aircraft Commander, Bitburg Air Base, Germany (F-4D)
- 1968-1971 Physician, Chief Flight Medicine
- 1971-1988 Flight Surgeon, Clinic Commander, Pilot-Physician, CAANG (T-33)
- 1988-1991 ANG Assistant Command Surgeon, Offutt AFB, NE
- 1991-1993 Deputy Surgeon General, USAF, for ANG Affairs, Bolling AFB, DC
- 1993 Retired USAF
Awards & Decorations
Military & Civilian Education
- 1955 Pilot Training, Class 55-K
- 1968 Primary Course Aerospace Medicine
- 1951-1953 Stanford University
- 1962 BA, Fresno State University
- 1967 MD, Washington Univ School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO