Michael L. Barr
Mike Barr is “One of the nation’s most quoted experts on air disasters, Barr recognizes the media fascination with airplane crashes – and he embraces it. In fact, one of his program’s courses focuses on the proper response to air crashes, including dealing with reporters. Students practice answering tough questions from a media professional while a video camera records them.”(1)
LtCol Mike Barr is a Command Pilot. From 1985-2015 Mike became part of the faculty of the University of Southern California as a Senior Instructor in their Continuing Education Program.
He was also a USC Viterbi School of Engineering Instructor and from 1993-2005 the Director of the USC Aviation Safety Program.
‘Mr. Barr was an Air Force Master Instructor pilot and an F-100 combat fighter pilot. He flew 137 combat missions in The Republic of Vietnam where he received the Distinguished Flying Cross for Heroism with combat ‘V’, Air Medals (7). He has the Meritorious Service Medal (2), Air Force Commendation Medal (2), Army Commendation Medal and Presidential Unit Citation (2) with combat ‘V’ plus other awards.
Michael Barr is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy with a BS in Engineering.
He was awarded a MA in Human Relations from Webster College of St. Louis, Missouri.
He is a graduate of the U.S.C. Flight Safety Officers and Advanced Safety Management courses. He holds a commercial pilot certificate and is a member of the International Society of Air Safety Investigators.’ (1)
(1) Article in USC News, “Old Fighter Pilots Don’t Fade Away, They Teach Aviation Safety”, by Bob Calverley, January 8, 2001. For the rest of the story go to https://news.usc.edu/6203/Old-Fighter-Pilots-Don-t-Fade-Away-They-Teach-Aviation-Safety/
- 1962 Pilot Training Laughlin AFB, TX
- 1963-1966 IP Laughlin AFB, TX1966-1967 F-100 Training, Luke AFB, AZ (F-100)
- 1967-1967 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Myrle Beach AFB, SC (F-100)
- 1968-1969 90th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Phu Cat AB & Bien Hoa AB, Vietnam (F-100)
- 1969-1973 81st Tactical Fighter Wing, RAF Bentwaters. UK (F-4)
- HQ ADCOM, ALO 3rd ACR Fort Bliss, TX (O-2)
- Chief of Safety RAF Bentwaters UK
- 12th AF HQs, Deputy Base Commander Luke AFB TX
- 4/1985 Retired USAF
Awards & Decorations
Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor Device
Air Medal (7)
Meritorious Service Medal (2)
Air Force Commendation Medal (2)
Army Commendation Medal
Presidential Unit Citation with Valor Device
Military & Civilian Education
- Command Pilot
- 1968 Accident Investigation Course, USC
- 1962 BS/Engineering, US Naval Academy
- MA/Human Relations, Webster College, St. Louis, MO