Michael P. Cooper


 

Preferred Name: Mike

Nickname/Call Sign: Porky

Date Of Birth: 08-28-1933

Highest Military Grade Held: O-5, Lt Col

Hometown: Montgomery, AL

Biography

Other nicknames: your pick- MP, Mike, Porky, Michael P

Post AF retirement: Real Estate Broker, Swimming Pool Contractor (800+), Regional Sales/Tech Rep for industrial biocides, fabric cover/antique aircraft restoration biz, hot sauce entrepreneur.

Hobbies- Sports Aviation, Confederate AF, Courtesan.

Organizations include- VFW, Daedalians, (former), Confederate Air Force, River Rats, Man-Will-Never-Fly-Society, Air Force ASSN, Super Sabre Society.

So far, this has been one hell of a fine ride, and we ain’t pulled into the station yet!!

* Approximately 70% of the students at Marion Military Institute had appointments to West Point or Annapolis. The other 30% had daddies that wanted their boys out of jail. I never could pull that appointment deal together.

Porky

Units Assigned

  • Mar-Oct ’53 USAF pre-cadet James Connelly AFB, Waco Tx
  • Oct ’53-Feb ’54 Aviation Cadet Preflight, Lackland, TX
  • Feb’54- Aug ’54 Primary – Spence AB, GApa-18, t-6g
  • Aug ’54- Feb ’55 Basic- Webb AFB, TX
  • Aug ’54- feb ’55 t-28,t-33, graduated- 2/lt, USAF jet fighter pilot!
  • Feb ’55- Apr ’55 gunnery training phase one- Laughlin AFB, TX,
  • Apr ’55- Sep ’55 t-33, f-80c phase two- Luke AFB, AZ
  • Sep ’55- Aug ’57 f-84e,g,f-84f (split tail) operational fightersquadrons: 614th ftr bmr sqdn, England AFB,la,
  • Aug ’57- Jun’ 58 f-84f/f-100d 613th tac ftr sqdn, England AFB
  • Jun ’58- May ’59 la f-100d, f 614th tac ftr sqdn, England AFB,
  • Jun ’59- Jun ’62 la f-100d,f 430th tac ftr sqdn, Cannon AFB, NM
  •  Jun ’62- May ’64 f-100d,f 36th tac ftr sqdn, Itazuke AB,Jap.
  • May ’64- Jun ’65 f-100d,f/f-105d 36th tac ftr sqdn, Yokota AB, Jap.
  • Jul ’65- Aug ’68 105d,f(13counters north, gulf of tonkin, rollingthunder, korat, takhli)334th tac ftr sqdn,seymour johnsonafb, nc f-105d,f / f-4d(total of 102 north in f-105d

    takhli, zero North Korea,pueblo,’68 f-4d)

  • Aug ’68- Jun ’71 47/45/71st tac ftr sqdn, mc dillafb, fl f-4e
  • Jul ’71- Jul ’72 555th tac ftr sqdn, Udorn RTAFB,Thailand
  • Aug ’72- Jan ’73f-4d (156total, one third north, zero migs)334/336th tac ftr sqdn, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
  • Jun ’73, f-4e 4th ftr wing puke
  • Jan’73- retirement,
  • Aug 1991 Retirement from Military

Awards & Decorations

Flight Info

Military Education

  • US Army Parachutist Training (jump school)
  • US Army Field Surveyors School
  • USAF Pilot Training- s/e jet
  • Advanced Jet Fighter Training (gun school)
  • Fighter Weapons School – F-100
  • all other standard fighter pilot training, ie: advanced, Artic, 2x water, 2x jungle, survival schools, 2x fac, agos, sos, 5 months tdy to afxopfl (penagon), 4 x six month tac/nato rotes berlin -moron ftr day three tough monthsdozens of firepower/joint service demos

Civilian Education

  • HS- Marion Military Institute ’50-’51
  • JC- Marion Military Institute ’52
  • Alabama Polytecnical Inst /ce
Biography

Biography

Other nicknames: your pick- MP, Mike, Porky, Michael P

Post AF retirement: Real Estate Broker, Swimming Pool Contractor (800+), Regional Sales/Tech Rep for industrial biocides, fabric cover/antique aircraft restoration biz, hot sauce entrepreneur.

Hobbies- Sports Aviation, Confederate AF, Courtesan.

Organizations include- VFW, Daedalians, (former), Confederate Air Force, River Rats, Man-Will-Never-Fly-Society, Air Force ASSN, Super Sabre Society.

So far, this has been one hell of a fine ride, and we ain’t pulled into the station yet!!

* Approximately 70% of the students at Marion Military Institute had appointments to West Point or Annapolis. The other 30% had daddies that wanted their boys out of jail. I never could pull that appointment deal together.

Porky

Units - Education - Awards - Flight Info

Units Assigned

  • Mar-Oct ’53 USAF pre-cadet James Connelly AFB, Waco Tx
  • Oct ’53-Feb ’54 Aviation Cadet Preflight, Lackland, TX
  • Feb’54- Aug ’54 Primary – Spence AB, GApa-18, t-6g
  • Aug ’54- Feb ’55 Basic- Webb AFB, TX
  • Aug ’54- feb ’55 t-28,t-33, graduated- 2/lt, USAF jet fighter pilot!
  • Feb ’55- Apr ’55 gunnery training phase one- Laughlin AFB, TX,
  • Apr ’55- Sep ’55 t-33, f-80c phase two- Luke AFB, AZ
  • Sep ’55- Aug ’57 f-84e,g,f-84f (split tail) operational fightersquadrons: 614th ftr bmr sqdn, England AFB,la,
  • Aug ’57- Jun’ 58 f-84f/f-100d 613th tac ftr sqdn, England AFB
  • Jun ’58- May ’59 la f-100d, f 614th tac ftr sqdn, England AFB,
  • Jun ’59- Jun ’62 la f-100d,f 430th tac ftr sqdn, Cannon AFB, NM
  •  Jun ’62- May ’64 f-100d,f 36th tac ftr sqdn, Itazuke AB,Jap.
  • May ’64- Jun ’65 f-100d,f/f-105d 36th tac ftr sqdn, Yokota AB, Jap.
  • Jul ’65- Aug ’68 105d,f(13counters north, gulf of tonkin, rollingthunder, korat, takhli)334th tac ftr sqdn,seymour johnsonafb, nc f-105d,f / f-4d(total of 102 north in f-105d

    takhli, zero North Korea,pueblo,’68 f-4d)

  • Aug ’68- Jun ’71 47/45/71st tac ftr sqdn, mc dillafb, fl f-4e
  • Jul ’71- Jul ’72 555th tac ftr sqdn, Udorn RTAFB,Thailand
  • Aug ’72- Jan ’73f-4d (156total, one third north, zero migs)334/336th tac ftr sqdn, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
  • Jun ’73, f-4e 4th ftr wing puke
  • Jan’73- retirement,
  • Aug 1991 Retirement from Military

Awards & Decorations

Flight Info

Military Education

  • US Army Parachutist Training (jump school)
  • US Army Field Surveyors School
  • USAF Pilot Training- s/e jet
  • Advanced Jet Fighter Training (gun school)
  • Fighter Weapons School – F-100
  • all other standard fighter pilot training, ie: advanced, Artic, 2x water, 2x jungle, survival schools, 2x fac, agos, sos, 5 months tdy to afxopfl (penagon), 4 x six month tac/nato rotes berlin -moron ftr day three tough monthsdozens of firepower/joint service demos

Civilian Education

  • HS- Marion Military Institute ’50-’51
  • JC- Marion Military Institute ’52
  • Alabama Polytecnical Inst /ce