Roger J. Paul
Lieutenant Colonel Roger J. Paul was born in Chicago, IL
His father was always interested in being a pilot and named his son after what pilots said on the radio in WWII –Roger. As a child, Roger was only interested in being a Fighter Pilot.
Lt Col Paul was commissioned through the Air Force ROTC program at the University of Michigan in Jun 1969. He attended undergraduate pilot training at Sheppard AFB, Texas, and earned his wings in October 1970.
His first assignment in Nov 1970 was to the 426th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron (TFTS), 58th Tactical Fighter Wing TFW), Luke AFB AZ as an F-l00 pilot. In Jul 1971, he completed training as an 0-2 Forward Air Controller (FAC) in the 547th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field FL. From Aug 1970 through Jan 1971 he was assigned to the 21st Tactical Air Support Squadron (TASS) as a FAC with the 3d Brigade of the 1st Cavalry at Tan Son Nhut AB, Republic of Vietnam. In Feb 1971, he became a Fighter Duty Officer at III Corps Direct Air Support Center. In Aug 1972, he was reassigned to the 22 TASS at Wheeler AFB, HI as an Air Liaison Officer for the 1st Brigade, 21st Infantry, 25th Infantry Division.
Lt Col Paul was next assigned to the 465 TFTS, 49 TFW, Holloman AFB NM as a wing pilot and Command Post Controller in Jan 1976. In Oct 1976, he was assigned to the 309 TFTS, 31 TFW, Homestead AFB FL as an F-4 pilot. He returned to the 9 Tactical Fighter Squadron (TFS), 49 TFW, in Mar 1977 and became a Flight Commander. With the closing of the F-4 at Holloman in Jun 1978, he was assigned to Luke AFB for F-4 Central Instructor School with follow-on assignment in Nov 1978 to the 561 TFS and 21 TFTS, 35 TFW, at George AFB, CA. While at George, he was Chief of Squadron Scheduling, Wing Scheduler, and Wing Programmer.
In May 1984 Lt Col Paul was assigned to Operational Plans, Headquarters, United States Air Forces Europe (USAFE) as an Exercise Plans Officer. In Dec 1985, he became a Contingency Plans Staff Officer where he planned and aided in the execution of ELDORADO CANYON, air operations against Libya. In Jan 1987, he became the Executive Officer to the USAFE Deputy Commander for Operations.
Lt Col Paul was next assigned to the 479 Tactical Training Wing (TTW) in Jun 1987. Upon completing an instructor upgrade, he became Chief of Wing Inspections. In Sep 88, he became Operations Officer of the 465 Tactical Training Squadron (TTS) in charge of the development of training syllabi and manuals for the USAF Fighter Lead in Program. He became Commander of that unit in Mar 1990, commanding a unit of 30 military and 25 civilian personnel.
Lt Col Paul retired as a Lieutenant Colonel and is married to the former Sandra Boodry of Glen Ellyn IL, celebrating 53 years of marriage in 2019.
Immediately after retirement from the USAF he was hired by Continental Airlines and based out of Newark International Airport, Newark NJ. At Continental, Roger flew as a Second Officer on the Airbus A-300/B4 and Boeing B-727/100/200. He flew as First Officer on the Boeing B-737/100/300/500/700/900, B757, B-767 and B-777 and Flew passenger service in the US, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Central, and South America. Based in Guam, he flew freight for DHL in Asia.
Captain Paul served as a Check Airman on the B-727 and retired as a B-737 Captain after 16 years and over 15,000 hours.
During the Continental years, he lived in Easton, PA, and restored an 1833 Federal House of 8000 square feet. It took 20 years to complete as the house was vacant when bought and had been in foreclosure. The house is a Registered Pennsylvania Historic Property.
Membership in Proud Renaissance in Downtown Easton (PRIDE), Easton Heritage Alliance (EHA), Art Community of Easton (ACE), Downtown Neighborhood Association (DNA), Two Rivers Area Chamber of Commerce (TRACC), Local Historic District (LHD) Task Force, Historic District Commission (HDC) implementation Committee Chair, and Main Street Program (MSP) Organizational Committee, State Theater, and the Canal Museum. He served on the Easton Planning Commission and the Committee for the Restoration of the Simon Silk Mill and Bushkill Creek Rehabilitation.
He is also a member of the Super Sabre Society, Daedalians, Air Force Association, Military Officers of America Association, Aircraft Owners and Pilot Association, National Rifle Association, Triangle Fraternity, and Air Line Pilots Association.
Roger is currently living in Viera FL. His major activities include travel in the USA and the World (by cruise ship when able) as he enjoys his retirement.
- 10/1969-11/1970 3630th Pilot Training Student Squadron, Sheppard AFB, TX (T-37/T-38 Pilot Training)
- 11/1970-7/1971 426th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron (TFTS), 58th Tactical Fighter Wing TFW, Luke AFB AZ (F-l00 Training)
- 7/1971-8/1970 547th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, FL (0-2 Forward Air Controller (FAC) Training)
- 8/1970-2/1971 21st Tactical Air Support Squadron (TASS), Tan Son Nhut AB, Republic of Vietnam (3d Brigade of the 1st Cavalry FAC)
- 2/1971-8/1972 III Corps Direct Air Support Center, Bien Hoa, Republic of Vietnam (Fighter Duty Officer)
- 8/1972-1/1976 22nd TASS, Wheeler AFB, HI (21st Infantry, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division Air Liaison Officer)
- 1/1976-10/1976 465th TFTS, 49th TFW, Holloman AFB NM (Wing Pilot and Command Post Controller)
- 10/1976-3/1977 assigned to the 309th TFTS, 31st TFW, Homestead AFB FL (F-4 pilot Training)
- 3/1977-6/1978 9th Tactical Fighter Squadron (TFS), 49th TFW (F-4 Pilot, Flight Commander)
- 6/1978-11/1978 311th TFTS, Luke AFB (F-4 Central Instructor School Training)
- 11/1978-5/1984 561st TFS and 21st TFTS, 35th TFW, George AFB, CA (Chief of Squadron Scheduling, Wing Scheduler, and Wing Programmer)
- 5/1984-12/1985 Headquarters United States Air Forces Europe (USAFE), Ramstein AB (Exercise Plans Staff Officer)
- 12/1985-1/1987 Headquarters United States Air Forces Europe (USAFE), Ramstein AB (Contingency Plans Staff Officer where he planned and aided in execution of ELDORADO CANYON, air operations against Libya)
- 1/1987-6/1987 Headquarters United States Air Forces Europe (USAFE), Ramstein AB (Executive Officer to the USAFE Deputy Commander for Operations
- 6/1987-9/1988 479th Tactical Training Wing (TTW), Holloman AFB, NM (Chief of Wing Inspections)
- 9/1988-3/1990 465th Tactical Training Squadron (TTS), 479th TTW, Holloman AFB, NM (Operations Officer)
- 3/1990 465 TTS, 479th TTW, Holloman AFB, NM (Commander)
- 1990 Retired as Lieutenant Colonel
Awards & Decorations
Meritorious Service Medal with 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Medal with 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Presidential Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and 4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with 4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with 3 Bronze Stars
Air Force Overseas Short Tour Ribbon
Air Force Overseas Long Tour Ribbon with Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with 4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with Bronze Service Star
Air Force Training Ribbon
Republic of Vietnam Air Service Medal Honor Class
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces Honor Medal 1st Class
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Military Aircraft: 3,000+ hours
Command pilot with over 3000 military flying hours, including over 60 combat missions in
Civilian Aircraft: 15,000 hours
Boeing B-737/100/300/500/700/900, B757, B-767, and B-777
Military & Civilian Education
- 1978 Squadron Officer School
1981 Air Command and Staff College
1984 Air War College
- Grade school Hall Monitor, Librarian, Cub, and Eagle Boy Scout.
- High school Visual Aid Attendant, Explorer, Lettered Gymnast, and Civil Air Patrol
Cadet (CAP). In CAP he competed for and won, an exchange trip to Turkey for a
month. He also competed for a Flight Scholarship and won which started his flying career. Obtained private pilot license at age 18.
- 1969 BS/ Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan
- 1978 MA/Human Resource Management, Pepperdine University