William Andrew Burleigh
Flying along, low and slow, with my observer looking for bad guys hiding in the bush down in the delta. Sure enough, there was one and he woke up in a really bad mood. As he emptied an AK magazine, I hollered to the Cobra above “taking fire. I am hit!”.
The Cobra calmly said, “are you hit, or is the aircraft hit”. My reply was forceful, stating “I am hit” and the observer took the controls and promptly starting flying us into the ground. I gently pulled back on the stick to save his feelings and all was well with the day.
And then there was the time…….
- B Troop 3rd Squadron 17th Air Cavalry, US Army
- F-100 Combat Crew Training Squadron
- F-105 Combat Crew Training Squadron
- 128th Tactical Fighter Squadron/116th Tactical Fighter Wing, Georgia ANG
- FAA Air Traffic Controller ATL ARTCC, Captain Atlantic SE Airlines, Safety and Security Specialist USCG
Awards & Decorations
Air Medal (27)
USAF Senior Pilot Wings
US Army Pilot Wings
Military & Civilian Education
- US Army WORWAC
- USAF UPT, SOS
- F-100 CCTS
- F-105 CCTS
- US Army rotary-wing flight training
- USAF UPT
- BBA Mercer University