Sam R. Winborn, Jr.
Sam Winborn, Jr. flew 255 combat missions over Vietnam with the 510th Tactical Fighter Squadron/3rd Tactical Fighter Wing at Bien Hoa Air Base.
Sam is survived by his wife, Tonai; daughters, Jennifer Gwydir and husband, Ernst, Karen Sinor, and Samatha Myers and husband, Ryan; grandchildren, Robert Gwydir, Sam Gwydir, John Alan Sinor, Kathleen Sinor, Madeline Myers, and Lilah Myers; and brother, Thomas Adron Winborn.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Sam and Beulah Winborn, brother, James Elton Winborn, and son-in-law, Charles Sinor.
A memorial service was held on Saturday, November 25, 2017, at Christ Church in Plano, TX. An A-10C Thunderbolt flyover by the 104th Fighter Squadron was performed during Sam’s memorial service at Arlington National Cemetery on August 14, 2019.
The family would like to thank the staff at Grand Brook Memory Care in McKinney for their loving care.
- 58th Tactical Fighter Wing, RTU Luke AFB, AZ, F-100
- 1963-1966 10th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn AB, Germany
- 1966-1967 510th Tactical Fighter Squadron/3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Bien Hoa AB, Vietnam
- 1976 Air Force Representative to the FAA
Awards & Decorations
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Military & Civilian Education
- 1956 Georgia Institute of Technology, GA